Friday, July 23, 2010

Pronouns

I find myself wondering about pronouns in the trans community. Things such as wondering whether or not some trans people, are still okay with others using pronouns to match the body they were born in. I mean, are there FTMs who are seriously okay with being referred to as "she?"

A friend of mine went on a trip to Chicago, where he ran into an FTM artist and his wife. He was surprised for a bit, because the wife kept referring to the FTM as "she." My friend advised me that the FTM looked biomale in appearance, yet seemed perfectly content with the female pronouns.

For me personally, as I have evolved as an FTM, I find that when people refer to me using female pronouns, that it stirs up huge dysphoric feelings. I find this getting worse as time goes on. It's to the point now, to where it just about brings me to tears.

So back to my original question. Are there some that are okay with it? If so, please let me know if they would be willing to talk to me. I'd love to hear their perspectives.

1 comment:

  1. Tears? no. RAGE?? YES. I guess we're all welcome to our levels of comfort with pronouns, but for me "she" just doesn't cut it.

    That said, I'm 8 years male and found just yesterday that I got a "thanks, Ma'am"...mustache and all. I try to tell myself it was "thanks, Man", but my ears are far too well tuned to miss that one. I'm a union stagehand and hear a lot of homophobic crap from some guys, and a lot of ignorant nonsense that I try to call out when the situation allows without outing myself.

    ReplyDelete